Visit Us At WWW.MAITELATES.COM

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nieces, Nephews, and Nudity...

Pedro, myself, and sixty surviving Alfajores sought out old Richmond, Virginia, this past week. An important part of the family lives there, and the sixty-three of us were seeking inspiration out east. Among nephews, nieces, giggles and laughs, we unearthed an old, nearly-forgotten recipe that has remained buried and fragmented in our collective memory for decades.

After a few days of hard work at my brother’s house, we rediscovered the perfect predecessors to the Maitelates Alfajores you have come to know so well. We baked; we ate; we baked again; we ate again. We tried different presentations, continually eating. We also slept, but just a little… there was much more to discuss, and of course, to eat!

And then we made a sweet discovery! We found, before us, a nude Maitelates Alfajor. Nude? Yes, nude, but still… done with good taste. No chocolate on this one. Shocking! Let’s call it the skinny dude, the diet(y) friend, a nude you could show your parents without embarrassment, the perfect guest for your tea party. Yum!!!!

And it’s funny, because I didn’t want to do this before… I kind of had this love thing with chocolate – my personal touch – that was keeping me from trying the traditional “nude” version of the alfajor. But, I found in my family the energy, the courage, and again, the inspiration to take the challenge. Family is a gift, an awesome privilege to have around. And I humbly and respectfully believe I have a great one. Lucky me!

Try my new taste of South America in the form of these two buttery, shortbread cookies bound together with handmade Dulce de Leche, and a final touch of powdered sugar melting in your mouth. Guilt-free.

Fernandito, Inaki, Elisa, Belen, Fernan & Maida, you ROCK!

More info? Click here





4 comments:

Pablo Recabal said...

nice pictures... i want to try that new taste :) (even though I'm a fan of chocolate)
By the way, i did the math, and i couldn't figure it out: if you add pedro, yourself and sixty alfajores you get 62....

Maite said...

Nice point Pablito... nice point..... wait.. what? Oh! 62.. yeah....well... Brenda.....

vero said...

hahaha be careful with the enineer (ez un balazo pa las matematicas el cabro)..
miss you both! see you soon!
(i´ll be glad to work in the "tasting group")

Anonymous said...

oooooh I want a new Alfajor!! They look like they were kissed by the snow!! =) <3
Dianne Vargo