Visit Us At WWW.MAITELATES.COM

Friday, January 15, 2010

Have you Maitelated at 17,800 feet?

One of the favorite things I used to do with my father when I was little was to go up the mountain any random Sunday morning. Chile has the most spectacular mountains you can possibly imagine, The Andes.

And it doesn’t take much to escape to them when the city gets all crazy and stressed and contaminated.

Now that I’m older and exercising is one of the last words in my dictionary, I’ve realized that in order to be up there again, I would need to find a way that didn’t require my physical presence (and poor fitness situation)… mmmmm… and then guess what came to my mind… of course… MAITELATES!!!

So, this is the story! My cousin Joaquin was going to climb EL PLOMO this January, one of the highest summits of the Chilean Andes… and by “high” I mean HIGH: 17,800 feet. So this is what I did. I sent a big box of Maitelates to Chile.

The box’s first stop was my father’s house,

on Christmas day, while my two parents, four siblings, and seven nephews were celebrating the Holidays. Bad idea, right? Right.

The big box lost some serious weight, and, according to my informants, only two alfajores survived. Of those final two, one ended up in my brother in law’s belly… and the last one??? Well… That was the one that made the great trip to the Mountains with Joaco, my good cousin.

A four day adventure, waking up at three in the morning in order to conquer the summit, having to deal with the coldest cold, crossing frozen glaciers, and only one Maitelates left to lift their spirits.. tough, really tough!

But they made it to the very top!!! How proud was I when I saw the pictures up there!!!! Nice job guys. TEAM WORK!

Love it!!!

(I’m so tired from all this writing…

you see? I told you I was in bad shape…)

Enjoy the pictures!!

1. The conquer and master mind behind the expedition and the whole idea: Joaquin Molina

2. Ignacio Di Prospero at the summit. Thanks Ignacio!!

3. Family members of the expedition: Joaquin Molina, Luis Alberto Infante, Juan Rodriguez

4. Joaco in the middle of the ascent

5. My happy father, with his happy daughter in the middle of a happy situation





3 comments:

Kristine France said...

Felicitaciones Maite!!! Viva el espiritu emprendedor y las Ursulinenschule!!! ja!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion these cookies are pure delecacies. Maite blends them with chocolate and the choicest ingrediants making a perfect cookie of amazing taste.My favorite is definetley coconut.

A big fan of exotic foods

Ferenan said...

WOW! AMAZING! INCREDIBLE! those were the first things I thought when first tasting these alfajores. It is literaly like taking a bite from heaven.

yours truly Fernan Jr.