Visit Us At WWW.MAITELATES.COM

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'll be right back!


And nope, I’m not talking to you, Brian, or to you, Agnes, or Peggy, or Alex, or Denise, or Carol, or Gary... This time I'm not talking about going to the bathroom at the market...again…and again… I’m talking about going to Chile!!! My beloved long skinny country! But wait - I’ll be right back!

Pedro, Matias, and I are leaving this week. And as long as that swine flu does not kill us, we’ll get to visit our families, our friends, our language, our food… oh yes…our food!!! We can’t wait to have some marraquetas (the best bread ever), empanadas (meat pies), reineta (my favorite fish), quesillo (fresh cheese), and Super8 (chocolate bars).

I will visit my grandmother’s countryside house, and I will bring pictures of the outdoor space where we used to make our summer supply of Dulce de Leche.

I’ll try to go see the coast, too; Viña del Mar and Valparaiso are some of my favorite places to go. They're just beautiful! The same with the mountains... if I’m lucky, my 70 year old father will do what he’s been doing since I can remember -- get a good cane, a hut, and take Pedro and I for an excursion to the mountains.

And last but not least, while in Santiago I’ll make sure to get more ideas and provisions in order to improve and develop an even better alfajor. I’m excited and looking forward to it. When we come back, I’ll be bringing a good taste of my Chile to you.

See you at the Market on the 23rd of May!

4 comments:

Don Puicxote said...

Ahem.

Where's Maite? Where's MAITE? WHERE'S MAITE?!

I flew up the aisles at the market. I flew down the aisles at the market.

No Maite.

So I repeated. Up. And down. Near. And far. Forwards. And backwards.

No Maite. No chocolates. No alfajores. No dulce de leche.

Your extended leave is torture for this poor, peckish crane.

Please come back soon.

-DP

John Roos said...

Maite,
I ate my last alfajores. Yesterday with espresso. I guess I have to go and see Jim for MORE.
We're all missing you terribly at the Farmers Market. Things are so calm without you! Come back soon
Roosroast

Don Puicxote said...

Alfajor?

Don Puicxote said...

Alfajores!

Muchas gracias!

-DP